Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pride and Peanut Butter

It is officially one week until I will be flying across the Atlantic Ocean to Dakar, Senegal! It is so exciting to think about starting a new adventure. I haven't even left the states yet and my expectations of what this semester is going to be like are already being challenged- and I am so thankful for that. I expect this list to grow exponentially over this semester, but for now, I am already amazed at how little I actually know about the journey I am about to begin.
What Becca think she knows #1: Americans take more pride in appearances than Senegalese people.
Yeah, right...In fact, during a pre-departure orientation session, we were informed that Senegalese women  not only take much pride in dressing modestly and fashionably, but that also, it is not uncommon for them to see Americans as "grungy"... a problem that can easily be solved with 2 or 3 showers each day (however cold they may be...)

As I pack my suitcase (singular- yes, just one!) with clothes (which hopefully aren't grungy), an L.L. Bean headlamp (which is extremely stylish, by the way ;) believe me, I tried it on), half a dozen travel-size bottles of hand-sanitizer, and a big jar peanut-butter, I think that I, quite possibly, could be ready for anything that comes my way!

Africa, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Wait, what is the peanut butter for??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was for making a bomb, but TSA confiscated it thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete