Friday, March 9, 2012

S'mores with the Paye Family!

While sugar overloads are definitely nothing new to this Senegalese society, the idea of roasting marshmallows over a small fire pit and making some sort of sandwich concoction is pretty foreign. Thanks to my wonderful "waa ker ci Amerik" (American family) who mailed me all the ingredients, I spent the past week preparing my Senegalese family for the exciting and delicious experience of making S'mores for the first time. I'm pretty sure, though, that my host father was still unconvinced that it was possible to make s'mores without adding some sort of meat. Hopefully he believes me now...

After dinner last night, my host brother and I began the preparation. I found him on the roof, hovering over a tiny coal incense burner and I couldn't help but laugh. I guess it would be a little difficult to find a forest within walking distance of Dakar...But despite the tiny flame, we were able to make it work!



As it turns out, Senegalese are excellent marshmallow roasters! While I preferred to let my marshmallow burn quickly and serve the S'mores out, my brother was extremely patient and meticulous with his, very much like the typical Senegalese attitude I have come to expect. It is hard to picture our American culture surviving the two-hour process of making Ataaya, but when you do it, you soon realize that the process itself is the experience...though the tea really is tasty! Just like that, it didn't take long to understand why my brother was such an expert at it. I quickly relinquished my marshmallow-roasting expertise to him and made trip after trip downstairs delivering the treats to each member of my family. As I handed each of them their S'more, I was met with a slight look of suspicion... a dessert...AND a sandwich? How could this possibly be good?? But, just as my apprehenshion of Senegalese food has turned into a love for it, it only took them one bite. "Neex na!" (It's delicious!) After a second round of S'mores for everyone, they were officially hooked!

Having spent two months of learning about Senegalese meal preparation and rituals, it was so nice to be able to share this small piece of home with my host family. They are already planning the next S'more night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment